Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Recipe Review: Stovetop Cheezee Mac



Today I tried my first homemade vegan mac and "cheese" recipe -- a vegan milestone, perhaps? ;) I used the recipe from Vegan on the Cheap for Stovetop Cheezee Mac. Basically, you boil a box of elbow macaroni, and while that's boiling, you dump some firm tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, and a whole host of other seasonings into a blender or food processor and blend away. When the pasta is done, you drain it, put it back in the pot, add the sauce (and some peas if you want) to the pasta and cook it until the sauce thickens.

The sauce had a lot of ingredients, which would be my only real complaint about the recipe. It dirtied a lot of measuring spoons and cups. But it was a very tasty sauce! I used Mori-Nu shelf stable Lite Silken Firm tofu, which seemed like a good choice for a creamy sauce. I also added the optional tomatoes, since I like mac and cheese with tomatoes.

All in all, I think it lived up to the name of the book, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite cookbooks. It made a ton of food, and I estimate I spent about $6 on the ingredients for the recipe. This cookbook also tends to re-purpose leftovers a lot, and this recipe is one that gets re-purposed into a "Chili Mac." I made chili yesterday, so Friday we'll give the Chili Mac a try! We have a lot of leftovers in the fridge, so I'm thinking I'm pretty much done with cooking for the week, and all for just a few bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment