Sunday, February 5, 2012

Vegan Junk Food Fest

As much as the Weight Watchers Lifetime Member in me hates to admit it, this week has been a bit of a vegan junk food fest. I am enjoying discovering new things (Veggie Booty! Tofutti Cuties!) as well as finding old favorites that happen to be vegan. (Oreos! Unfrosted Pop Tarts! Campbell's Tomato Soup and Ritz Crackers! Okay, maybe that one's not so bad.)

I have also discovered locally-made vegan bakery treats, as well as vegan pizza. None of these items are particularly good for my wallet or my waistline. But I have to admit it is kind of fun to stroll through the aisles of the grocery store, picking up an item I had previously enjoyed or remember from childhood, studying the ingredients and realizing it is vegan. (Of course, there is also the disappointment upon discovering that some things you felt sure would be vegan have milk or eggs in them....usually milk.)

I think the one that burns me up the most is the gelatin in the frosting on the Pop Tarts. I had assumed no Pop Tarts were vegan (or even vegetarian) because of the gelatin, which I figured had to be in that gooey filling. Then I read on a message board that unfrosted Pop Tarts are vegan. So I checked the ingredients, and...huh, what do you know...the gelatin is in the frosting. Never would have thought that. It makes me want to ask Kellogg's why they need to use that in the frosting...seems like a sugary frosting could easily be made without gelatin. (And I'm sure this won't be the last time I feel a similar frustration.)

Regardless, I'm hoping this little junk food honeymoon ends soon, before it starts showing up on my tush. I need to stop filling the cabinets with chips, crackers, and toaster pastries, even if they are free of animal products. (But it's nice that so many are!)

No comments:

Post a Comment