Saturday, February 18, 2012

Review: Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella



We love pizza, and since none of the pizza places near our home offer a dairy-free cheese alternative, I have been making them at home more often. I usually use Daiya, but this week I decided I wanted to try something different, so I bought a block of Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella. You can do whatever you like with it -- shred it, slice it, cube it. I shredded it with a box grater and used it on a homemade pizza, half cheese-only and half spinach and mushroom.

I was impressed with how well the cheese shredded and how much the texture felt like dairy cheese. It didn't have the oily texture on my hands that Daiya has. It isn't sticky either, though -- and it was easy to sprinkle on the pizza. I was even more impressed when the pizza was baking. About halfway through the baking time, the cheese had completely melted and had started to bubble and even brown a little bit, just like dairy cheese.

It looked great when I pulled it out of the oven, so I couldn't wait to try it. The verdict? I will definitely be buying this cheese again! It worked great on a pizza, and I'm impressed with its melting qualities. It has a nice flavor and a creamy texture when melted. The versatility of the block cheese is also nice. Hmmm...could vegan mozzarella cheese sticks be in my future?

2 comments:

  1. That's great to know. My family and I tested all of the vegan cheezes available a few years ago and decided none were worth the effort or cost. We'd just prefer to go without. With your recommendation for a cheeze that actually melts, I think I will try this one. Sometimes the kids' friends come over and a cheese-free pizza is just not met with the excitement one would hope for when feeding teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking they have improved them quite a bit in those few years...I read some not so rave reviews of this same cheese, but I didn't have any of the problems they did. I have heard Teese is good on pizza too but haven't tried it. Daiya is stretchier, but this melted better.

    ReplyDelete